1. What is the INTERLINK schedule?

The INTERLINK programs are designed for carefully-screened, serious, and disciplined students. All full-time students receive a minimum of 23 hours of instruction per week. Core classes are taught in two blocks, lasting four hours per day; in addition, twice per week, students also take modules which last 90 minutes each.  

Most students spend 3-5 additional hours per day studying and doing out-of-class assignments. They also participate in co-curricular activities such as concerts,lectures, and field trips to local places of interest. In-depth orientation to academic and social life in the U.S. is an important feature of the INTERLINK programs. 






2. What kind of curriculum does INTERLINK have?

The well-defined, five-level curriculum is specifically designed for university-bound students. Therefore, it emphasizes the communicative use of English, academic skills, and cultural orientation. At Colorado School of Mines, upper level students may receive instruction in English for Science and Technology (EST) and at Valparaiso University, law students wishing to receive LLM degrees may enroll in the English for Law (EL) program.











3. What qualifications do INTERLINK teachers have?

INTERLINK courses are taught by professionally trained teachers with Master's or Doctorate degrees in Teaching English as a Second Language or subjects appropriate to their course assignments.  Most of them have have studied other languages, traveled, lived and/or attended classes abroad and are very familiar with the challenges which face students in new cultural milieus.








4. How long do students study at INTERLINK?

This depends on a student's prior knowledge of English. A student's duration of stay at INTERLINK may range from two to twelve months.








5. Who attends INTERLINK?

The majority of INTERLINK students are undergraduate or graduate students preparing to attend colleges and universities in the U. S. A few are professionals who enroll in the program to improve their language proficiency for personal and professional reasons. Students come from all major geographic regions of the world, including Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America, and Southeast Asia.








6. Do students who finish INTERLINK need TOEFL?

Students who successfully complete the INTERLINK program do not need TOEFL scores for our host universities and a number of additional universities.








7. What is Conditional Admission?

Academically qualified students planning to study at INTERLINK may be admitted conditionally to a select group of universities. Upon meeting the conditions as specified in the university's conditional admission letter, a student may be admitted as a regular student. Some universities require that students submit application forms, official transcripts from previous study, documentation on finances, and perhaps letters of recommendation while others only need to review official transcripts to decide on conditional admissibility of students. In all cases, one of the conditions will be to achieve a certain TOEFL score or complete the INTERLINK program successfully. Assistance in applying to universities is available free of charge to all INTERLINK students.








8. What is the size of INTERLINK classes?

We have intentionally chosen to be small so that individual attention can be given to each student. The maximum number of students in "core" courses is 12-15; the average class size is 8-9; and most centers have fewer than 65 students.






9. How are students assessed?

Upon arrival, all students are interviewed and tested in listening, speaking, reading and writing in order to determine their levels of proficiency. Each student is assigned to one of five levels. During the term, students are evaluated on the basis of their attendance, preparation, out-of-class assignments, and quiz results. Each student's progress, as well as attendance record, is reported by instructors on a weekly basis. Immediate action is taken by the director if an instructor's report indicates that a student needs help or counseling.







10. Does INTERLINK help with housing?

Yes. On-campus housing is available to all applicants who enter the program in January or August and plan to study at INTERLINK for an entire semester (two terms). On-campus housing is usually only available at UNCG in summer (until 2012). Students arriving in October or March can live on campus if space is available. Summer students can live on campus for four, eight, or twelve weeks. Applicants must make advance reservations for on-campus housing. We also arrange housing for students with carefully-selected American families. Students are encouraged to apply at least 12 weeks in advance to secure their preferred type of housing. Homestays are available at all campuses except UNCG.





11. What happens if I get sick?

Medical care or counseling is available to all students through college/university health facilities, and students are referred to private doctors or hospitals and professional counselors when there is a need.

The INTERLINK directors and staff receive reports from teachers on students needing medical or personal attention and talk with students to see what kind of help is needed. All students are required to have medical insurance. Students can either enroll in the INTERLINK medical insurance plan upon arrival or use their own policy. The INTERLINK policy covers students beyond the end of the term in case they plan to travel between terms or before going home.








12. Can I get help with college applications and placement?

Yes. Students receive assistance in selecting and applying to appropriate colleges and universities. Personal counseling from our faculty and staff , short courses, and workshops all help students find appropriate places to study after INTERLINK.








13. Can I take college/university courses?

On a teacher's recommendation and with the director's approval, students in level five may audit or take for credit academic courses at the institutions where the INTERLINK centers are located. Students who take courses for credit pay for those courses directly to the college/university. At some INTERLINK centers, full-time students may audit courses at no additional charge during the academic year.







14. When and how can I begin the program?

Qualified students may begin study at INTERLINK in January, March, May, June, July, August, or October.

Applicants must submit the following:








15. How do I get to INTERLINK?

All students who have been accepted to INTERLINK receive information about travel to the center, as well as telephone numbers for center directors and office staff. Student are asked to send their arrival information to the center as soon as possible so that appropriate accommodation arrangements can be made.

INTERLINK assists arriving students by arranging airport pickup and overnight stay at hotels or short-term homestays with families.








16. When should I come to INTERLINK to register?

Students report to the center on the first day of registration at 8:30 a.m. The registration date is specified on students' I-20 forms. All students take placement tests, fill out registration forms, pay fees, and attend orientation sessions. Students who will live on campus move into their residence halls on the first day of registration.








17. When and how do I pay the tuition and fees?

All fees are due on the first day of registration. Checks, bank drafts, or traveler's checks drawn on a U.S. bank are recommended. Credit cards are accepted only for application fee, insurance, and tuition; room and board must be paid by check or cash. Students should expect to spend about $250 for personal needs each term. INTERLINK offers assistance to students who want to open bank accounts upon arrival.








18. Are scholarships available for study at INTERLINK?

Unfortunately, INTERLINK Language Centers cannot provide scholarships or any other financial aid to individual students during language study.  Each of our host institutions may or may not offer scholarships to individual students for undergraduate or graduate academic study.  If and when academic scholarships exist at any American university, they are very limited and are awared only on a highly competitive basis.  Inquiries regarding such scholarships should be sent by the individual student directly to the
Admissions Office of the university.










19. Is work available to allow me to pay for my studies at INTERLINK?

Work which might help pay for your studies at INTERLINK is not available.  Under U.S. immigration law, for a student who enters the United States with an F-1 or F-2 visa, it is illegal to do any work for payment during the first year of study.  Other legal restrictions apply thereafter, and it can be very difficult for an international student to find work while studying in the United States. Limited on-campus work-study employment may be available to help with pocket expenses.













20. If I leave INTERLINK early, will my tuition be refunded?

All students requesting a refund will receive a full tuition refund during the week of registration. No tuition will be refunded for four-week terms after the registration week. Tuition for nine week terms will be refunded as follows:

a. During the second week: 50% of all tuition paid for the term, and full
refund for any advance payment.

b. Subsequent to the second week: No tuition refunds will be made for the term. Refunds
for students who must withdraw because of illness or emergency will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Board refunds will be prorated and each university's policy will be followed and applied. No refund will be given for room, university fees, or insurance.